Controller of Site Safety Recert(COSS)
A course for those who will carry out the duties of a COSS, set up Safe Systems of Work for a group whilst on or near the line.
At the end of this course delegates will be able to:
- Know the roles and responsibilities of a COSS.
- Be able to check the competencies via Sentinel.
- Demonstrate a good COSS briefing.
- Access information about the site.
- Demonstrate the Safe System of Work planning process.
- Correctly appoint Lookouts/Site Wardens.
- Demonstrate use of the sighting distance chart and how this can be attained.
- Understand and demonstrate a good level of both written and verbal communications.
- Demonstrate the ability to take and hand back line blockages.
- State the process when working within a possession.
- Understand and state the process for working in a sidings.
- How to manage an incident and the role of the RIO.
- Understand the LCV process
What do you need to attend this course?
- You must hold the required medical level.
- You must currently hold PTS and COSS or be within the 8 week grace period (from date of expiry)
- Have successfully completed all assessment within the competency cycle
- Have at least four entries in your log book
- Have a good level of literacy.
4 days (OLP/CRP is an additional day)
What happens after I pass the course?
Your track safety card will be updated to include both the PTS and COSS recertification An interim assessment (between 9 and 15 months after the rectification course) must also be completed.