Controller of Site Safety (COSS)
This course is for those who will carry out the duties of a Controller of Site Safety (COSS), set up Safe Systems of Work for a group whilst on or near the line.
At the end of this course delegates will be able to:
- Know the roles and responsibilities of a COSS.
- Be able to check the competencies via Sentinel.
- Demonstrate a good COSS briefing.
- Access information about the site.
- Demonstrate the Safe System of Work planning process.
- Correctly appoint Lookouts/Site Wardens.
- Demonstrate use of the sighting distance chart and how this can be attained.
- Understand and demonstrate a good level of both written and verbal communications.
- Demonstrate the ability to take and hand back line blockages.
- State the process when working within a possession.
- Understand and state the process for working in a sidings.
- How to manage an incident and the role of the RIO.
- Understand the LCV process
What do you need to attend this course?
- Must hold the required medical level.
- PTS must be held and is renewed as part of the course so the minimum log book requirement must be met.
- Have a good level of literacy.
6 days (OLP/CRP is an additional day)
What happens after I pass the course?
Your track safety card will be updated to include both the PTS recertification and (Probationary) COSS. You must complete the mentoring requirements and pass a workplace assessment within 4 months. You must be accompanied at all times by a full COSS holder until this is completed. An interim assessment (between 9 and 15 months after the post mentoring assessment) must also be completed.